Announcing the Second International Technical Invention Prize!
Sponsored by the Technology Commission of OISTAT
The TIP is awarded to the technicians working in theatre or any part of the entertainment industry who make gadgets, devices or basically simple and smart solutions for our kind of work: those clever ideas that are mostly realized by inexpensive means and materials. The apparatus might only be used in one particular theatre, company, traveling show, sometimes just one country. This is an opportunity to share these inventions and clever devices with the international community through publication of the TIP Catalog, featuring the entries deemed most useful by an international panel of judges. From the accepted entries, one especially deserving idea will be awarded the 2017 International Technical Invention Prize.
1. The idea must be an apparatus or (auxiliary) tool that is specifically used in theatre technology (scenery, costumes, props, lighting, technical production), capable of being used at every location where theatre technology is practiced.
2. It must consist of materials and/or parts and/or components that are ‘standard’ and can be acquired easily.
3. Materials, parts and components that are developed for, and normally used in another industry may certainly be used in a new and different way for our discipline.
4. The apparatus or (auxiliary) tool must be-–without possible doubt-–developed by a current or former theatre technician. Renowned solutions, gadgets or tools may not be entered into the competition.
5. The apparatus or (auxiliary) tool must not be developed by a professional commercial company.
6. The apparatus or (auxiliary) tool should be free of any rights and everyone should be able to use it without any financial consequences.
7. The apparatus or (auxiliary) tool must already be in practical use somewhere.
8. Individual or team (no more than 3 members) applicants accepted.
Prizes will be awarded to top three entries. The winners will be announced on the TIP award ceremony at World Stage Design 2017.
The Technology commission will begin accepting entries for the Second International Technical Invention Prize on December 1, 2016. The closing time for entering the TIP Competition is midnight 12:00 AM GMT March 30, 2017. The winners will be notified on May 1, 2017. The official announcement and awarding of the Second International Technical Invention Prize will be made at World Stage Design 2017, July 1 to July 9, 2017 in Taipei, Taiwan.
2. 1-3 drawings and/or photographs (each under 1 MB) necessary for others to reproduce the device or invention. If selected, the images will be printed in black and white in TIP catalog.
3. All documents should bear the applicant’s name, i.e. Firstname_Lastname.jpg/docx.
※By entering, you give OISTAT the permission to use the texts, drawings and pictures you’ve submitted. The rights to the actual invention stay with the inventor.
Questions about the Second International Technical Invention Prize Competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download TIP Info in PDF